3.12.08

Balloon II and humming

Another take on "balloon".

For this illustration I used a ball point pen and a dried out marker that should have been thrown away a few months ago.
I prefer the lines of my rough sketches and hope to one day transfer that spontaneous feel to my finished pieces.


Original Sketch:


Off Topic:
While washing my hands in a public restroom, a lady at another sink said, "You have a very nice hum. In fact, I don't think I know anyone that hums so well."

If it weren't for the fact that we were the only people in the restroom I would never have realized that she was talking to me. I thanked her and spent the next few minutes wondering if I always hum without thinking.Then I started to realize that, yes, I am in fact a hummer.

I've hummed through two root canals, and the (natural) labor and delivery of my 2nd child. I've hummed through finals weeks, workouts and while doing endless loads of dishes. I've hummed my children to sleep and while working on a variety of craft and art projects. I hum along when the church choir sings and when I'm listening to the radio. So yeah, I'm a hummer...and a hand washer.

12 comments:

Apryl said...

I LOVE the kid's face & the gesture. Love it. And I also have a collection of past-their-prime markers. It seems like a requirement.

Maleina said...

LOVE it! And I remember you being quite the hummer, and singer, and dancer! You are after all the knower of all lyrics! Something about a human radio is in my mind :)

Veeda said...

I am amazed you hummed during your labor, all natural and all. did you plan having your second that way?

Crystal said...

ps: My labor and delivery humming helped me control my breathing and keep my mind off the pain.

Christine said...

How beautiful, I love it. You've capture that expression of pure joy kids get while playing.

INDIGENE said...

This would make such a great birth announcement! It's lovely.

trudette said...

Very well drawn, great picture !

Rui Sousa said...

Nice colours, really sweet work!

get zapped said...

I love what you've done with this second "balloon" piece. Just as darling as the first.

I'm fascinated by your humming story. There is even a pranyama (breath work) technique, if you will that uses humming Bharamari or (Humming Bee Breath). "The purpose of the Bhramari breathing is to reduce throat ailments. This may have positive effect on the endocrine glands specially thyroids and nervous system." It sounds like you and many around you have benefited from your love and natural take to humming. I think I'll do it more often, so thanks!

Liz said...

crystal! fun FUN to run into you on the www!!! i LOVE your blog. so glad i was lead to it. such talent, girlfriend. i'm totally a groupie now.

Honeycombs said...

I wish I wouldn't have had my music so loud at the track so I could have captures some of this humming energy.

Honeycombs said...

I wish I wouldn't have had my music so loud at the track so I could have captures some of this humming energy.